Business Development Manager At John Holt
John Holt Plc – What is today a giant business group was in fact the pioneering effort of one man. The story began in 1862 when John Holt, just under 21 years old, with £27 in his pocket, sailed from Liverpool to take up appointment as a shop assistant in a grocery store in Fernando Po (now Equatorial Guinea). Five years later, he bought out his employer and subsequently built up a produce trade with the Delta Ports. Palm Oil, Palm Kernels, Rubber and Cocoa were exported to England. Imports included textiles from Lancashire and bicycles from Birmingham. In 1897, John Holt established his first VENTURE in Lagos.
Up to the Second World War, much of John Holt’s business was in distribution and export of produce. A fleet of ships operated a fortnightly service from Liverpool to West Africa and the Company also had its own fleet of river craft.
Apart from produce and merchandise, these river craft also carried cash. Where banks did not exist, John Holt had strong rooms. Even after banks were established, many Nigerians preferred to deposit their cash with John Holt.
John Holt & Company (Liverpool) Limited was incorporated in 1897. In 1961 the company was incorporated in Nigeria as John Holt Limited. It became a public company and was quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in May, 1974.
John Holt Limited is recruiting to fill the position of:
Business Development Manager – Construction
- Assess and define specific value opportunities and serve as a consultant for developing a solution and plan for implementing construction activities.
- Capitalize on existing leads generated through a variety of avenues including established partnerships by closing sales and expanding opportunities.
- Develop and manage complex business relationships between owners, engineering firms, and construction contractors operating within the industrial construction market.
- Continuously expand understanding of construction environment and practices.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports as required.
- Develop and manage project plans for assigned projects.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time and within budget.
- Screen potential business deals by analysing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; and recommended equity investments.
- .Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Qualify and research potential clients and understand value required to best position John Holt Construction Limited. .Be engaged in the community, trade organizations or associations as required to expand relationships within the critical market segments.
- Assume additional responsibilities as directed by the Head of Construction or appointed designate.
- Provide Legal Unit with appropriate commercial information allowing proper evaluation of construction agreements.
- Inspect work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and the adherence to construction schedules.
- Ensure that all construction activities respect and align with federal, state, and local government rules and regulations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or related area.
- Masters or higher degree in related field an advantage.
- 5-10 years progressive construction experience in a Sales, Consulting, Marketing or Project Management role is required.
- In-depth knowledge of building and construction processes.
- Contract management and negotiation skills essential.
- Motivated, goal oriented, and persistent. An achiever.
- Ability to form relationships quickly with all social groups and maintain personal credibility.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills with demonstrable ability to produce highly professional deliverables such as presentations, proposals, and ROI analyses.
- Ability to establish priorities, multi-task and self-manage to ensure deliverables are met on time every time.
- Strong relationships at Senior Executive and Director levels in critical market segments.
- Proven track record of success in winning business in challenging markets.
- Must be accessible to customers beyond normal business hours and be willing to travel.
- Understands the business implications of decisions and displays a clear orientation towards profitability.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send CV to: [email protected]