Averda International is the largest environmental solutions provider in the MENA region, specializing in integrated waste and resource management. averda is at the forefront of environmental innovation, providing sustainable solutions built around more than 35 years of industry experience.
averda’s services range from street cleaning to waste collection, treatment, disposal and recycling, as well as sustainable solutions for water, wastewater and solid waste for public, residential, commercial, and industrial sectors, all within a framework that respects the natural environment.
With more than 6,000 employees serving millions of people everyday, averda operates throughout Lebanon, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Morocco and the Republic of Ireland.
Business Development Director
The basic function of this position is to drive rapid operational business development for averda across Nigeria and surrounding countries by leveraging on existing experience, capabilities and relationships in the market in order to achieve expansion success. It is critical that the candidate is already well-connected and highly active with key and influential contacts in the relevant industries and markets, including environmental services, waste management, facilities management, energy, and other utility areas.
The candidate will have direct responsibility to maintain and expand the relationships with the strategic accounts located in Nigeria and surrounding countries and will represent the entire range of averda solutions and services while leading the customer account planning cycle and ensuring assigned customers’ needs and expectations are met by the Company.
- Drive explosive business development by meeting aggressive revenue targets in Nigeria and surrounding countries.
- Managing customer relationships with focus on public projects/municipality.
- Evaluate averda’s business goals, develop a comprehensive expansion strategy, and implement a tactical plan that reduces barriers to entry in the given market. Areas of focus should be on:
- Identifying and contending with new competitive pressures in the markets in which averda currently is active
- Introducing new services and products
- Diversifying into additional market segments
- Manage sales actions and customer relationships during the tender phase in coordination with the Tendering Team and deliver,through to contractual stage, new business across the waste management industry in line with budget expectations:
- Gathers market and customer information
- Arranges meetings with potential customers to prospect for new business opportunities
- Gains a clear understanding of customers’ businesses and requirements
- Listens to customer requirements and makes accurate, rapid cost calculations to assess opportunity
- With the support of the tendering department provides customers with proposals and presents appropriately to make a sale
- Continuously identify and capture new sources of revenue within assigned accounts
- Maintain strong relationships within client organizations at the decision-maker and end-user levels; present a consistent averda image to those clients; build high levels of client satisfaction; execute proper client agreements
- Serve as the primary point of contact for assigned customer accounts and act as communication conduit for the entire averda organization into the assigned accounts
- Participate as key member of the averda Business Development team
- Build and maintain a network across the waste management industry
- Regularly present information and feedback to the Senior Management team
prepare presentations, extensive reports and documents for internal/external use
- Maintain various databases with information on markets, suppliers, customers, industries and policies
Desired Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree, or similar, along with a minimum of 8 years’ experience – preferably in the Environmental Services sector
- Previous experience in a targeted sales and business development environment is a must
- Fluency in English is a must
- Candidate must be willing to travel the majority of the time
- Relevant experience throughout Nigeria and surrounding countries with a strong network of contacts
- Knowledge of major public departments e.g. Municipality, Economic Department, Labor and Immigration and private sector clients requiring environmental services
- Good communication, customer service and writing skills
- Excellent organization, communication and problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Proficient in MS Office.