Credit Manager At FINCA International
FINCA is recruiting for an experienced, motivated and hands-on Credit Manager (CM) to join FINCA’s start-up microfinance bank in Nigeria. The Credit Manager is a senior manager reporting to the COO, and is responsible for credit operations for the microfinance bank.
This role is designed to ensure FINCA maintains competitive credit products that are able to respond quickly to market changes and—most importantly—meet the needs of our clients and target market (low income entrepreneurs). The job holder is responsible for continuous review, improvement and development of products, credit analysis, delinquency management, and credit training. The jobholder will need to ensure that team members have the capacity to deliver credit products in a highly efficient and profitable manner, in a market-led and mission driven approach.
The CM will strive to ensure that the company presents characteristics consistent with a credit ethos that will win community trust, respond to client needs and raise client awareness regarding the opportunities that FINCA credit products can provide.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivating a corporate credit culture which drives growth of the loan portfolio, delivers high customer satisfaction, follows customer protection principles, and enables FINCA to meet is mission of improving livelihoods for low-income micro-entrepreneurs
- Providing leadership and clear focus for FINCA Nigeria employees engaged in delivery of credit products and services
- Developing strategies (staffing, product, process, marketing, etc.) to enable portfolio growth and client outreach in existing and new regions.
- Ensuring strong portfolio quality for group and individual loans, balanced alongside the need to reach the unbanked or financially excluded with unconventional methodologies
- Implementing and continuously updating processes and methodologies for core credit products to ensure they remain client attractive and market focused, coordinating with the Marketing Department to incorporate research findings as needed.
- Identifying staffing needs and actively participating in the recruitment process for credit staff
- Building credit staff competency, providing coaching, designing courses and conducting training where required.
- Working directly with staff in order to ensure strong quality of credit operations, and implementation of credit policies and procedures.
- Participating in the evaluation process for branch staff, especially Branch Managers.
Qualifications and Experience:
- HND/Bachelor’s degree in Business Admin or related fields, MBA is a plus
- 8 years of relevant experience, 5 in banking and credit (retail development focused)
- Strong credit analysis skills and experience
- Experienced in development of credit growth strategies, policies and procedures at a senior level, preferably in Africa or similar environments
- Exposure to microfinance desired; experience with group lending is beneficial
- Fluency in English required, Igbo language proficiency is beneficial
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Strategy Development - Develops strategic outreach and growth plans; Coordinates strategies; Communicates changes and progress; Completes strategic planning process on time and within budget; Manages team activities
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Managing People - Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
To perform the job successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies and qualities:
- Commitment to establishing a credible credit risk management unit within a growing and dynamic organization
- Willingness to relocate to Owerri, Nigeria and to travel within the country (50% of the time)
- Enterprising and self-driven personality with the ability to adapt and acquire new skills
- Ability to translate knowledge of business needs into value propositions mutually beneficial to customers and the organization.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Highly attentive to detail with excellent organizational and documentation skills
- Results-oriented, with the ability to drive projects from inception to execution stages
- Strong fit to FINCA’s desired corporate culture and values, and commitment to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision. In particular, must demonstrate a commitment to transparency and integrity
- Understands the needs of a start-up, with willingness and ability to perform duties beyond the scope of work