Engineering Vacancy at Diageo
Nigeria is currently the world’s third largest market for the Guinness brand and may become the largest in the next five years.
Guinness Nigeria Plc (GNPlc) continually invests huge resources into: growing production and sales volumes, continuous improvement of their operations, training and development of their staff (Competency Acquisition Programme) and capital for the latest technology.
The Engineering Technicians are responsible for operating, cleaning and maintaining their plant and equipment to meet the increasing volume and quality demands in a reliable and cost efficient manner.
Purpose of Role
To produce Guinness products at customer service levels, quality conformance and within budget. Applying technical, process, continuous improvement and individual/team development skills to optimise overall brewery improvement and plant performance.
To adopt a safe and professional approach to all aspects of the role as an individual/team player.
Significant impact on raw material, component and utility costs and production, quality, rework and labour costs. Key role in operating, cleaning and maintaining plant and equipment, impacts directly on plant availability, asset life cycle cost and asset life/replacement frequency.
The Nigerian beer market is complex with many competitors and a strong quality, cost and delivery focus. Need to constantly reduce production cost, while maintaining high quality and delivery to become the best amongst competition.
Liase with other Brewing, Packaging, Production Services and Maintenance Technicians, Laboratory Technicians, Contractors and Shift Managers to ensure continuity of reliable, quality production.
Support other team members and develop positive relationships with colleagues.
Top 3 Accountabilities
- Provide a comprehensive production service on plant and equipment to which they are primarily allocated: operating and cleaning, carrying out maintenance schedules, responding to breakdowns, assessing & monitoring plant performance on an ongoing basis and attending to all other process duties in a timely manner.
- Adhere to GNPLC policy and procedures for safety, health, environment and hygiene to ensure a safe and efficient operating environment. Utilise and apply safe systems of working and pro-actively seek opportunities to improve work environment.
- Optimise product quality, through continuous observation and attention to detail, delivering RFT on quality and control parameters. Respond to non-conformances in a timely manner to keep process on track. Apply record & share learning’s to prevent re-occurrence.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- 3 years’ experience/competence in Operations, Maintenance, Process Control and Performance Measurement in a brewery or drinks or food manufacturing environment.
- Ideally have an appropriate qualification in Brewing, Packaging, Engineering or Utilities (as appropriate) and/or a nationally recognised technical qualification.
- Demonstrate detailed understanding of Permit to Work system and GNPLC SHE policies, statutory requirements and responsibilities.
Barriers to Success in Role
- Skill level inadequate to successfully operate and maintain both new and ageing assets and technology.
- Lack of personal flexibility to function in a tightly manned manufacturing environment with volatile production and sales demand.
- Displacing entrenched practices with a WCM vision and culture.
- Poor inclination to pursue training and development on an individual and team basis or to share and apply new skills acquired.
Flexible Working Options
Method of Application