Division Manager, Financial Inclusion (OFSD.2) at African Development Bank
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
Division Manager, Financial Inclusion (OFSD.2)
- Grade: PL-2
- Position N°: 50001206
- Reference: No ADB/15/104
- Publication date: 20/07/2015
- Closing date: 31/08/2015
The primary role of the Financial Sector Development Department is to help the regional member countries (RMCs) increase reach (e.g. financial inclusion), depth (e.g. financial intermediation), and breadth of financial systems (e.g. capital market, cross-border development). The Financial Inclusion Division will support the Bank’s RMCs in their aim for near-universal access of essential financial services. Its programs and projects will facilitate the unbanked populations’ access to basic financial services at a lower cost, while achieving acceptable financial security and safeguarding financial stability. Innovative solutions adopting the latest technological developments and tailored to country conditions will be critical for RMCs. The Bank now seeks to appoint the Financial Inclusion Division Manager who will work under the guidance and supervision of the Director, Financial Sector Development Department.
Duties and responsibilities
The Division Manager will also work closely with internal and external stakeholders to develop and establish programs and projects that support the Bank’s RMCs in their aim for near-universal access of essential financial services. The role includes but is not limited to:
i. The Technical Oversight:
- Plan, organize and supervise the activities and staff of the Division;
- Monitor and analyse economic developments in regional member countries;
- Provide advice to the Director on issues relating to private sector development;
- Head multi-disciplinary teams comprising investment officers, economists, engineers and lawyers to elad projects to their completion: ;
- Coordinate the preparation of the Division’s budget;
- Select projects to be appraised for Management and Board consideration;
- Supervise all stages of the project cycle;
ii. People Management:
- Manage a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole;
- Manage team’s staffing and resources competently and responsibly to achieve the Division’s objectives.
- Be a collaborative member of the Management Team, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment.
- Leading People: Serve as a role model, leading by example, builds alignment and commitment. Is courageous in challenging others to move the Bank forward.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions;
- Develop and direct the implementation of objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the Division. Ensure compliance with Bank policies and regulations.
- Lead complex missions involving negotiations with government officials and private investors;
- Provide advice to investors and enterprises on project structuring (selection of partners, technology, identification of markets etc.)
- Improve customer service orientation of staff of the Division and ensure provision of efficient services to clients;
iv. Staff engagement:
- Promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across teams and across organizational units;
- Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender;
- Provide on-the-job training and advice to relatively less experienced staff and supervise their work;
v. Corporate Communication:
- Communicate effectively to staff and management how the related strategy, policy, and processes support the needs of the business and enable a productive, positive and engaging work environment for staff.
- Develop and coordinate the Bank’s relationships with other institutions involved in financial inclusion and private sector development;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
a) At least a Master’s degree in Finance, Banking, Economics/Development Economics, Business Administration, or other discipline that is relevant to the operations of the division.
b) At least eight (8) years relevant experience in the financial sector/socio-economic development sector.
c) Experience in finance with a proven track record in sourcing, structuring and executing financial sector related transactions.
d) Experience in financial sector policy issues such as: a) Financial Sector Regulation, b) Financial Inclusion, c) SME Finance d) Mobile Banking e) Payment systems.
e) Proven capacity to innovate
f) Proven team management skills in a multi-cultural professional environment.
g) Good coaching, mentoring and conflict resolution skills.
h) Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
i) Strong communication skills.
j) Knowledge of new technology solutions including digital payments is an advantage.
k) Communicate and write effectively in French and/or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
l) Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software applications (SAP, word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here