The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the below position of:
Job Title: Project Manager Enterprise & Research
Directorate or Region: SSA
Pay Band: 6
Reports to: Enterprise Programme Manager
Duration of job: Fixed term of two years
Purpose of Job
- To manage project delivery under the Enterprise Programme and in support of the Research Strategy.
Context and Environment:
- The British Council in Nigeria works in three strategic business areas (SBUs): Arts, English, Education and Society.
- To support the expansion and deepening of our programmes in these SBUs we have decided to establish two new teams.
- In support of Research the post holder will deliver activity that supports the planning, research, production and dissemination of publications produced by the British Council Research team,
- These will include new research projects and research projects that are underway as strands of programme activity in the SBUs. The postholder will also organise and manage activity that supports the development of early career researchers and a community of practice in research.
- The Research team will conduct and produce high profile research publications that contribute to the evidence for policy making in Nigeria and develop a community of practice in research in Nigeria; and the Enterprise team will develop opportunities for the UK to assist the growth of the entrepreneurial sector in Nigeria, including the development of enterprise skills.
- This post will deliver project activity for both teams.
- In Enterprise, the postholder will deliver project activity for the regional Entrepreneurial Africa programme as it is applied in Nigeria, and implement Nigeria’s Enterprise Challenge competition, #Innovation and other enterprise and innovation projects as they are developed.
- The postholder will also project manage campaigns and projects with partners focused on the promotion of UK innovation, enterprise and creativity, and support the programme manager to pursue private sector, foundations and donors for fully funded and co-funding contracts that enable us to implement an Enterprise and Innovation Strategy.
Accountabilities, Responsibilities and Main Duties
Project Management and Coordination:
- Maintain forward looking activity plans to support planning and co-ordination of activity
- Support external programme partners and consultants deliver activity, including providing guidance on appropriate British Council policies and guidelines including Child Protection, EDI, security and data protection when appropriate.
- Manage regular reporting on financial, delivery and impact performance from partners, contractors and suppliers.
- Manage project activity to agreed timelines, costs and established performance indicators
- Report project performance using British Council corporate M&E systems
- Organise and manage workshops, training, dissemination and other events to British Council corporate standards.
- Organise visit programmes of internal staff and external partners and consultants as required.
- Responsible for programme procurement in line with established corporate policies and guidelines
- Responsible for developing detailed activity and event budgets and managing delivery and reporting of activity against agreed budgets with an emphasis on value for money
- Support Director Research and the Programme Manager Enterprise in preparing monthly financial performance reports.
- Work with British Council Nigeria Marketing and Communications team to develop and disseminate case studies, reports and impact stories for internal communication channels including intranet, blogs and newsletters.
Contract and Account Management
In compliance with corporate standards, processes and templates for contract and fund management:
- Support Managers in drafting agreements for all project contractors, consultants and suppliers
- Maintain and update records of contacts/ leads and outcomes of meetings , ensuring follow up action is carried out in a timely and efficient manner using the British Council corporate system
- Monitor proper invoicing and payment schedule from donors
- Develop and manage relationship with project delivery partners, contractors and suppliers.
- Research team and Enterprise Programme Manager
- Marketing and Communications team
- Finance team
- Senior Leadership Team
- Wider programmes team
- Consultants and suppliers
- Some travel and evening working within Nigeria and internationally.
- Some unsocial working hours.
- Networks of entrepreneurs, social enterprise and business people
- Academic and social research networks
Please indicate if any security or legal checks are required for this role.
Applicants must have:
- Right of Abode in Nigeria
- Right to work in Nigeria
- CONNECTING WITH OTHERS (more demanding)
- WORKING TOGETHER (essential)
- BEING ACCOUNTABLE (essential)
- MAKING IT HAPPEN (more demanding)
- Other behaviours needed for the job but not evaluated at interview
- Shaping the future(essential)
- Creating a shared purpose (essential)
Skills and Knowledge Managing Projects:
- Works with project management systems and procedures, and has a track record of compliance with them as a project team member.
- Analyses requirements with the sponsor/stakeholders, defining the specification with awareness of equality and diversity impact, planning, revising, implementing and evaluating on small-to-medium scale and/or low risk projects.
- Examines project data and performance, reporting on progress and recommending corrective action as needed.
- Displays good listening, writing and speaking skills, setting out logical arguments clearly and adapting language and form of communication to meet the needs of different people/audiences.
Planning and Organising:
- Organises own work over weeks and months, or plans ahead for others, taking account of priorities and the impact on other people.
Managing Finance and Resources:
- Monitors and controls an agreed budget within a defined area, producing reports and analyses and contributing to planning.
- Knowledge of emerging themes in girls’ education globally.
- Understanding of the education and social landscape in Northern Nigeria.
- Experience: Experience of project management.
- Experience working in enterprise or research
- Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree, Post-graduate Degree in Education, Humanities or Social Sciences.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Please apply using the materials on the website.
- We are unable to process applications that do not conform to the required format, and we will not accept CV’s.
- Candidates with special needs should please ask us for this information in alternative formats.
Application Deadline 30th October, 2015.