The African Development Bank Group (AFDB) needs an Administrative Officer
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The AfDB’s mission is to fight poverty and improve living conditions on the continent through promoting the investment of public and private capital in projects and programs that are likely to contribute to the economic and social development of the region.
The AfDB is a financial provider to African governments and private companies investing in the regional member countries (RMC). While it was originally headquartered in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, the Bank’s headquarters moved to Tunis, Tunisia, during the civil war in Côte d’Ivoire.
Job Title: DIRECTOR – ONRI
The role of the NEPAD department is to promote regional integration and trade on the continent; support regional infrastructure development; enhance industrialization and trade; supervise the project preparation facility which focuses on preparation of high quality multi-country infrastructure projects; support the creation of an enabling environment of private participation in infrastructure; as well as implement targeted capacity building initiatives in infrastructure development and trade. It will initiate the preparation of policies and strategies for Bank intervention in regional integration; conduct technical and sectoral studies and analyses in connection with lending programs; engage in policy dialogue with regional member countries (RMCs), and regional institutions on technical aspects of regional integration and trade; and to oversee initiatives that the Bank is being called upon to execute on behalf of the international community.
Under the general direction of the Vice President of Infrastructure, Private Sector and Regional Integration, the Director, (ONRI) will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop programs and policies aimed at fulfilling the mandate given to the Bank by the African Union in the execution of the NEPAD program;
- Work closely with sector departments to successfully mainstream regional integration and trade into their operations in line with the Bank’s 10-year strategy;
- Lead the implementation of the Bank Group’s Regional Integration Policy and Strategy (RIPoS) within the overall vision of creating larger more attractive markets, linking landlocked countries to international markets and supporting intra-African trade;
- Develop programs aimed at supporting capacity building of Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and specialized sector institutions;
- Develop programs aimed at supporting trade and transit facilitation measures in Africa;
- Participate in the Annual Portfolio Performance Review exercise and collaborate with the Performance Review Department and Country Departments in designing and putting into effect action programs to address problem projects and improve overall implementation performance.
- Contribute to the joint efforts of the African Union Commission and United Economic Commission for Africa to develop more productive dialogue with the international community for the development of the African continent,
- In liaison with the Operations Policy and Compliance and the Chief economist departments, develop innovative approaches to policy and infrastructure issues relating to NEPAD and Regional Integration and take the lead in their implementation;
- Monitor the implementation of the Bank’s regional operations in Regional Member Countries (RMC’s) and, in cooperation with the relevant country authorities and institutions, pursue opportunities to upgrade operational effectiveness and enhance development impact;
- Ensure that the recruitment, redeployment and training of professional staff within NEPAD and the Regional Integration & Trade divisions maintains a mix and level of skills appropriate to the evolving operational needs of the Bank;
- Assist countries/regions carry out sector studies and analysis, access latest development thinking on sector issues, develop Monitor and Evaluate capacity at sector level and identify and design projects that are consistent with the Mandate given to the Bank through various Pan African initiatives;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Evidence of ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams across functional boundaries, and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; and cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change;
- Ability to build partnership with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint);
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in business administration, finance, economics, management ,engineering or other relevant fields;
- A minimum of 10 years of extensive and progressive experience in infrastructure development in an international organization, with preferably 5 years of experience at a managerial level. A solid knowledge and good grasp of socio-economic and development issues in Africa;
- Demonstrated superior leadership qualities, technical excellence and an established operational track record of excellence in achieving results;
- Strategic mindset; strong capacity to analyze actions from the perspectives of stakeholders and translate strategic thinking into compelling plan of action;
- Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions;
How to Apply
All qualified candidates should click online.