Associate Director Needed At FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Associate Director, Monitoring and Evaluation (State Support)
The Associate Director monitoring and Evaluation (State Support) provides leadership support to the Director M&E in all monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities for FHI 360 Nigeria and most especially in implement high-level Mentorship and Supportive supervision to the State Offices M&E Teams so that SIDHAS Objective of transitioning established M&E system to GoN is achieved. S/he supports the Director M&E in overall management and provision of technical inputs to improve and facilitate the delivery of sound technical assistance in M&E, including to the Government of Nigeria (GON) and United States Government (USG) upon request. S/he collaborates closely with other major Stakeholders in the implementation and improvement of the National M&E effort in Nigeria.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Support the Director in managing the FHI 360 M&E department, defining strategies, goals, objectives and work plan, and monitoring their implementation.
- Manage the portfolio responsible for database management and software development to maintain high standards of performance in all M&E activities.
- Facilitate deployment and use of electronic medical records system at FHI 360-supported sites.
- Take a leadership role in all QA/QI processes within FHI 360 Nigeria and among FHI 360’s Implementing Agencies.
- Strengthen the capacity of the FHI 360 M&E Team, and of FHI 360 technical staff in general; stays alert of the latest best practices in M&E to ensure up-to-date service delivery by the FHI 360 M&E Team.
- Foster FHI 360’s relationships with key counterparts at National level, especially from the National Action Committee on AIDS and of the National AIDS and STI Control Program, to facilitate synergies and guarantee harmony between FHI 360 and GON M&E activities.
- Upon request, provide general technical assistance in M&E to the M&E GON and USG Counterparts as well as to other key stakeholders; in particular, assist the GON and USG in data management, analysis and quality management of related work.
- Supervise and support the data management, analysis and quality management-related initiative undertaken by M&E officers at the country office. In particular provide guidance in the development and/or adaptation of M&E tools, in the monitoring of their day-to-day use, and in their modification.
- Provide sound technical leadership in the FHI 360 Quality Management System (Standard Operating Procedures, Process Flowcharts, Forms), in the FHI 360 data flow (processes and procedures for data flow, collecting forms), and for the design, update and use of the FHI 360 databases.
- Review, validate, share and present regular FHI 360 M&E reports, to be used by various stakeholders (health workers in service delivery points, public health practitioners in GON or USG, technical officers and management in FHI 360).
- Develop concept papers and research papers to improve and or extend existing monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Represent FHI 360 at National and International events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Sound knowledge and experience regarding M&E, statistics and quality assurance/quality improvement, and their specificities for developing countries.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Capacity to manage and build the capacity of a large team, within a multi-cultural environment.
- Capacity to consistently provide technical inputs on HIV/AIDS in the FHI 360 network to improve the quality of HIV/AIDS service delivery.
- Clinical management and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around the clinical management of HIV/AIDS, including provision of ART.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to represent FHI 360/Nigeria to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and training skills.
- Proven ability in supervising staff.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
• Leads the development and implementation process of a company’s services involving departmental or cross-functional teams focused on the delivery of new or existing projects. May use statistical analysis systems, such as SAS, as appropriate. Plans and directs schedules and monitors budget/spending.
• Monitors the project/program from initiation through delivery. Organizes the interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/program on schedule and within budget constraints. Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function .
• Provides technical oversight to one or more programs to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Designs, monitors and evaluates activities regarding recruitment, orientation, and supervision of teams who lead these activities.
• Supports capacity building and contributes to the overall strategic goals of any assigned programs.
• Creates or revises proposals as need to facilitate strategic goals.
• Trains staff on procedures and policies to achieve departmental and organizational goals.
• Supports management with recommendations for process improvement to achieve strategic goals.
MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with 5 to 7 years relevant experience with at least 5 years progressive experience working in Monitoring and Evaluation in large HIV/AIDS programs at national or international level.
MS/MA in demography, economics and an MPH or similar degree with 7 to 9 years relevant experience in project-level or state/national-level Monitoring and Evaluation in large HIV/AIDS programs at national or international level.
Sound practical knowledge of statistics and the use of statistical software.
Proven experience in project development, planning and facilitating technical training.
Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is required.
Familiarity with USAID and PEPFAR programs is required.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please visit FHI 360’s Career Center at http://www.fhi360.org/careers for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.