COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale is an humanitarian, non confessional and independent Foundation (NGO) that fights against all kinds of poverty to make the world a better place. Founded in 1965, COOPI is based in Milan and it has 24 headquarters in the South of the World.
COOPI works in different sectors: agriculture, water and sanitation, health care and nutrition, humanitarian assistance, human rights, education, socio-economic services, migration and relies on the expertise of 32 employees and 47 consultants in Italy, 121 expatriates and 4.500 local operators. In 2012, COOPI reached 3,6 millions beneficiaries.
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Mission
Area of intervention: Northern states of Yobe, Borno and Adamawa
Contract length: ASAP for at least 6 months, renewable for other 6 months
Summary of Position
- The Head of Mission manages the overall program in Nigeria from a programmatic and operational perspective, as well as leading on fundraising and donor relations.
- He/she leads the Leadership and Management Team (comprised of key senior staff) and leads the team in ongoing improvements.
- This position reports to the Area Manager at the HQ. The position is located in Abuja, with substantial travel to Yobe State.
- Institutional relations: He/she manages relations with the main institutional donors and with potential ones. He/she represents COOPI in the country/area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners. He/she also is responsible of the organization’s reputation in the country.
- Strategy and planning: He/she verifies and proposes to the Area Manager the intervention priorities to consolidate the organization’s opportunity to be more involved in the country. He/she contributes to the definition of the Country Strategy and proposes the country planning (projects and coordination).
- Projects’ management: He/she coordinates and directly monitors projects, guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards.
- He/she coordinates the elaboration, writing and documents’ preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Area Manager and the headquarters support offices.
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested by the central headquarters.
- He/she coordinates and monitors the country’s expatriate staff management.
- Safety: He/she is responsible for the expatriate staff security, for the correct implementation and respect of the general security rules.
- Economic and financial management: He/she is responsible for the country’s economic result. He/she supervises the financial management and ensures – through the administrative function – that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI’s procedures are respected. He/she participates to the projects/coordination budget preparation. He/she has the signature for all COOPI’s bank accounts in the country.
- Visibility: He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country.
- He/she ensures the transmission of all official and administrative project documents to the central headquarters.
- Country office management: He/she is responsible for all different aspects related to the country office management: economic and financial situation, local regulations, office organization charts, logistics, local and expatriate personnel management, in conformity with the organization’s guidelines.
- He/she guarantees the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation.
- Staff management: He/she is responsible for the local staff management. He/she participates and supports the Area Manager and the Human Resources office in the selection of the expatriate staff.
- Advanced Degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
- Previous minimum 3-year experience in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO is an advantage;
- Desirable experience of working on ECHO and UN projects;
- Desirable experience of working in emergency situations;
ASAP for at least 6 months, renewable for other 6 months
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Candidate will be required to send their CV and cover letter with 3 references