Country Compliance Officer At Citibank Nigeria
Coordinate and monitor day-to-day compliance with institutional standards and related regulations applicable to the business. Key duties include assuring Citi’s compliance risks are adequately identified, assessed, controlled and monitored; advising the Business on compliance risks; contributing to a ‘no surprise’ culture by educating and communicating compliance awareness throughout the organization; escalating all potential or identified regulatory issues to senior management.
This position is a regulatory requirement and has become available due the resignation of the previous Country Compliance Officer.
- To manage the Country compliance risk and provide franchise support to the Citi Country Officer (CCO) and Country Senior Management.
- To advise Country management proactively on compliance risks and developments that affect the business activity that Citi conducts in the Country.
- To coordinate production, documentation and approval of the annual Country Compliance Program.
- To manage the Compliance team in Nigeria – this consists of four team members.
- To assess the compliance risks faced by the businesses in the country, ensure that Citi is appropriately managing those risks and is in compliance with applicable laws & Citi standards of doing business.
- To be aware of major issues in the various businesses in the Country that could give rise to franchise risks. To probe actively to ensure that any potential franchise issues are being addressed appropriately by the business and functions and that the right resources are focused on managing these issues.
- To participate from a franchise and reputation perspective, in strategic decisions affecting Citi’s business in the Country.
- To identify new and changed local laws and regulations; distribute these to the affected business units and ensure that these are incorporated into the processes and procedures of the relevant departments.
- To escalate significant ethical or business practice concerns and to work with the relevant business and staff functions to investigate the concern and recommend appropriate remedial actions.
- To advise the CCO and other senior managers of the legal and regulatory ramifications of ethical/business practice concerns raised in the Country.
- To be familiar with the legal vehicles operating within the Country and with the legal and regulatory framework that governs how they operate. Participate in the management committee of any of these legal vehicles in the country.
- To be the key interface with regulators.
- To participate in all Country and Cluster Management Committee Meetings.
- To administer the compliance program for the country and to coordinate the business compliance with local and US regulations.
- To act as principal interface between the Business, Regional Compliance, Global Compliance and Citi corporate Compliance resources such as the Global AML office in order to;
- communicate compliance policies, information and requirements to employees;
- provide consultation and guidance to employees on compliance questions/issues;
- assist the business in developing solutions to potential issues involving compliance and regulatory risk;
- provide information to Citi Management as needed, regarding the state of compliance in the business.
- Develop and update the AML program and procedures based on changes to both Citi Global AML Policies and the regulatory environment.
- Provide targeted AML training to the business
- Provide compliance guidance on the on-boarding/retention of sensitive/high risk client relationships
- Keep abreast with laws, regulations and corporate policies that impact the Nigerian Business and the wider financial Market.
- Support the business in audits (internal and external) as a key interface with regulators/auditors. Proactively engage with examiners, review audit findings, evaluate the business’ corrective action plans to deal with issues highlighted and track progress till closure.
- Act as principal liaison with Internal Audit (IA) for matters relating to compliance, and monitor corrective action required by IA that relates to compliance and other corporate audits that relate to compliance.
- To provide compliance training in line with the business’s assessment of need.
- Opportunity to work with Citi’s compliance teams, regionally and globally;
- Comprehensive training in general compliance;
- Exposure to Regulators and engagement with Citi Business teams.
- The role will cover all Citi businesses, providing opportunities to develop enhanced product knowledge
- The Country Compliance Officer is a member of the Management Committee of the Bank
- Exposure to management of a team
- Experience in working with teams to deliver agreed service standards.
- Good knowledge of Bank policies and Procedures with a good understanding of Legal Principles and the regulatory framework in Nigeria.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a Compliance related function within the Financial Services Industry
- Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Professional within the industry with related qualification.
- Must have previous Banking operations experience (Domestic & International)
- Ability to interact/communicate effectively with both internal and external clients
- High level MS skills, especially Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Good presentation skills.
- Planning, evaluating and organizing
- Decision making
- Problem solving
- Excellent English communication skills
- University qualification – Bachelor’s Degree
- Post graduate qualification in Compliance or AML Compliance
- Membership of an international Compliance Association
- Strong team player, given cross functional role
- Enthusiastic approach to understanding key bank systems and willingness to apply these on ongoing basis
- Enthusiastic & flexible with ability to use own initiative and work independently
- Ability to multi-task
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- High accountability & ownership
- Self-confident, self-motivated
- Ability to learn & develop to take on exceptional tasks
- Strong time management.
- High tolerance for work pressure – perseverance and flexibility.
- Ability to handle conflict effectively.
- Commitment to learning.