The U.S. Consulate in Lagos is seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for the position in the Public Affairs Section (PAS):
Job Title: Educational Advising Assistant (Trainee Level), FSN-07/FP-07
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- Under the general supervision of the Public Diplomacy Officer (PDO), the incumbent provides services for all sponsored and non-sponsored students and scholars seeking information about educational opportunities in the United States.
- Responsibilities include group and individual counseling concerning applying to U.S. Institutions, implementing, monitoring program activities and outreach events.
- Additionally, s/he provides comprehensive, current and unbiased information, advice, and counselling on educational opportunities in the United States.
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- A University degree in Education, Social Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Language teaching or a related field is required.
- Language proficiency will be tested. Level III (Good working knowledge) Writing/Speaking/Reading in one local Nigerian Language is required.
- Knowledge of secondary and post-secondary education in both United States and Nigeria, including higher education entrance examination systems.
- Must have good written and oral communication skills, to obtain information in interviewing situations with clients and to analyze prospective students’ requirements. The written and oral communication skills will be tested.
- A minimum of two (2) years of work experience in academic counseling, public affairs or administrative/government services is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Writing/Speaking/Reading in English Language is required.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or – Ordinarily Resident – N4,766,721 p.a.(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$40, 665 EFM/MOH – US$35,014 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-07
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2015.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
All Applications should be Submitted to: [email protected]
Note: All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for consideration. a U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to be assigned officially to post.