Fresh Job Vacancy at United Parcel Service (UPS)
- Company History
Founded in 1907 as a messenger company in the United States, UPS has grown into a multi-billion-dollar corporation by clearly focusing on the goal of enabling commerce around the globe. Today UPS, or United Parcel Service Inc., is a global company with one of the most recognised and admired brands in the world. As the largest express carrier and package delivery company in the world, we are also a leading provider of specialised transportation, logistics, capital, and e-commerce services. Every day we manage the flow of goods, funds and information in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Authorized Service Contractor (ASC) Area Manager
The Authorized Service Contractor (ASC) Area Manager is responsible for all aspects of the business for a either an emerging or maintenance country. He/She oversees Small Package, Freight Forwarding ,Contract Logistics, Brokerage, and UPSC (if applicable) oversees operations to ensure business objectives and business continuity achievements. The ASC Area Manager evaluates business results, conducts financial analysis, and monitors operational efficiency for countries with limited capital
investment and small company operations.
This position leads the ASC to meet overall internal UPS goals defined by the balanced scorecard (i.e., People, Customers, Business Processes and Financials). He/she guides ASC business activities to meet targets and to anticipate and plan for future commercial business opportunities which facilitate accelerated export growth while ensuring optimal and industry standard import/delivery service levels. This position embraces company culture and promotes its qualities of business integrity, customer responsiveness, teamwork, and shareholder value among employees and within the local community. The ASC Area Manager reports to the overall ASC coordinator for either the Region, District, or Country (this will vary depending on the size & scope of the ASC country and the Region/District organizational structure).
Manages the Business Planning Process for Small Package, Freight Forwarding Contract Logistics, Brokerage, & UPS Capital (where applicable).
• Acquire and develop good local knowledge of the ASC markets, establish key local contacts with consultancy & industry related firms.
• Analyze trends, growth, economic, & political factors to determine projected growth rates in order to develop short & long range business plans.
• Responsible for executing predetermined business planning session reviews with various ASC management teams and the respective BPT individuals within the Region/District.
• Creates strategies and leverages diverse company capabilities, markets and people to ensure the ASC has all the tools necessary from UPS to accommodate accelerated growth targets.
• Holds ASC accountable for the utilization of tactical & strategic marketing insights and market and product portfolio knowledge to determine potential UPS’ competitive position, market share growth objectives, and in‐country ‘go‐tomarket’
plans in various geographies.
• Holds ASC accountable for assembling forecasted export market share, volume, revenue and profit growth business plan initiatives and branding, and sales and customer growth strategies to ensure retention, penetration and conversion.
• Utilizes expert product level understanding of revenue, expense and profit & loss (P&L) to determine contributing factors and trends.
• Understands financial concepts and how they impact the relevant aspects of a 3rd party income statement (e.g. marginal cost, variable versus fixed costs, etc.). This knowledge will facilitate discussions with the ASC designed to ensure they operate
an efficient network at the best cost so that customers benefits from market competitive tariffs and both UPS and the ASC can optimize profitability levels.
Monitors Small Package, Freight Forwarding Contract Logistics, Brokerage, & UPS Capital (where applicable) .
• Reviews ASC performance on a predetermined basis to compare results with International Balanced Scorecard defined goals.
• Leads the evaluation of product and service rate decisions to ensure the right mix of revenue supports the business plan.
• Ensures full contribution to growth plans to reflect the company’s potential.
• Hold ASC accountable to achieving market leading service quality standards at the most optimal cost effective manner.
• Provides ASC with appropriate expense management guidance to ensure budget compliance and operating leverage and asset utilization optimization so that the best rates can be provided to existing and prospective customers.
• Monitors and holds ASC accountable to contract compliance and identifies opportunities to ensure market share, volume, revenue, and compliance commitments are either maintained or exceeded.
• Applies detailed knowledge of service levels and business results and the impact on business plans through various operational and financial reports and information provided by the BPU.
– Ensure and verify the ASC operates a healthy and profitable business model by understanding their company structure, balance sheet, icomne statement, as well as monitoring the monthly reconciliation process (Accounts Receivable).
• Reviews pertinent business information (e.g., service and visibility, volume, revenue, claims, churn, safety, and expense and profit data, etc.) to identify performance shortfalls and to develop corrective action plans.
• Leads operations managers and support staff to develop and execute the most effective approach for delivering and maintaining quality customer service.
Evaluates Small Package, Freight Forwarding Contract Logistics, Brokerage, & UPS
Capital (where applicable) Portofolio Business Performance vs ASC .
• Ensure each ASC that is selected meets a predetermined set of criterion (e.g. understanding of local markets, no‐competing business, full exclusivity, agreeable to minimum levels of annual market share and export growth levels, etc.).
• Positions the company’s portfolio to ensure sales teams secure new profitable business.
• Oversees selection, performance, lead development, customer satisfaction and brand compliance of service partners and vendors’ agreements to provide effective and competitive operational services.
• Maximizes network, technology and operational capabilities to improve service performance.
• Influences business factors to contribute to a successful Small Package and Freight
Forwarding operations, customer satisfaction and quality improvement.
• Be flexible to meet with key local players, entrepreneurs and other local contacts that can enrich market knowledge and help the search of an alternative or new ASC if and when this course of action might be needed.
• Identify opportunities for alignment of ASC’s between SP and SCS and execute
Manages Operational Leverage and Profit
• Ensuring an optimal compensation structure that fosters very efficient delivery operations while promoting export growth opportunities.
• Provides guidance regarding asset optimization opportunities in an effort to help the ASC reduce cost and increase efficiencies that result in business growth.
– Utilizes financial insights to minimize the effects of costs with a high impact on business operations and to influence these factors efficiently.
• Reviews Revenue Management decisions to ensure positive impact on the business plan.
• Communicates challenges and issues to engage expertise and gain endorsement on courses of action internally within UPS.
Builds Successful Customer Relationships
• Support ASC’s in developing customer relationships and business development opportunities, particularly UPS Strategic Accounts.
• Undertake initiatives to ensure UPS maintains ownership of key customers.
• Interacts with customers to develop strategies for addressing the service needs of top current and potential customers and the issues preventing them from using company services or causing churn.
• Applies knowledge of customer supply chain problem points and the value proposition to sell customers bundled solutions, and gain customer trust and business.
• Visits customers to support sales strategies, strengthen relationships with UPS , and drive profitable growth.
• Leads the development of proactive customer experience strategies to improve customer service and retention.
• Engages company leadership to manage customer activities and business lead development.
• Supports local and organizational lead programs to maintain awareness of local direct marketing activities and customer access channels.
• Applies knowledge of the competition’s strength and weaknesses to position the company portfolio.
Acts as a Company Liaison to Local Authorities, Media and Organizations
• Acts as a leader in business associations and local media events to stay informed of market trends, create beneficial business relationships, and promote the company brand.
• Maintains a regular dialogue with top leaders in local government and agencies (e.g., customs, civil aviation, embassies, etc.) to represent the company’s interests and to comply with applicable policies and regulations.
• Supports and participates in the UPS Foundation and community activities to strengthen communities served and the company corporate citizenship legacy.
• Maintains communications with local dignitaries to promote the company’s interests and capabilities.
• Identify opportunities to enhance UPS brand awareness through advertising, trade shows, and other events
Coordinates Business Continuity
• Leads the local Crisis Management team to communicate disruptive events to the organization.
• Oversees the creation of strategies to address business risks such as security, labor, compliance and social issues that have the potential to compromise the security of employees and assets and cause the disruption of service.
• Maintains knowledge of continued service and brand reputation vulnerable to disruption to provide leadership for addressing risks.
• Provides expertise to explain to UPS applicable industry regulations, legislation (e.g., anti‐trust, etc.) and collective agreements and associated risks for driving compliance.
• Promotes sustainability to adopt environmentally‐responsible business practices.
• Ensures the development and effective execution of the country labor strategy to align with business goals.
• Promotes and leads a safe work environment to ensure job satisfaction and compliance with high safety standards for meeting company and local requirements.
Shares UPS’s Company Culture and Legacies
• Communicates company history and legacy to the ASC in an effort to promote achievements and embrace values.
• Promotes the company mission, values, and legacy as a differentiator to the ASC to inspire ASC employees and add value for customers.
• Models company policies and values by acting ethically and with integrity to inspire the ASC to display desired leadership traits.
• Promotes the company enterprise strategy to the ASC to ensure alignment with organizational objectives and values.
• Works with the ASC to support and participate in the UPS Foundation and community activities to strengthen communities served and the company corporate citizenship legacy.
Leads and Develops Others (primarily only for internal UPSers for which the ASC Area Manager works with)
• Manages resources and people processes (e.g., Quality Performance Review [QPR], Career Development, Succession Planning, Salary Administration, Training, Staffing, etc.) to ensure the day to day administration of processes and formal procedures.
• Identifies individual and team skill gaps and developmental opportunities (e.g., training, special assignments, projects, etc.) to facilitate individual and team development.
• Ensures that direct and indirect reports have specific, documented career goals and detailed plans for achieving these goals to advance the development of their personal and professional growth.
• Conducts frequent performance evaluations in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to facilitate open communication and encourage continuous performance improvement.
• Holds others accountable to established performance levels to achieve individual and group goals and maintain consistent practices across the organization.
• Resolves individual and group performance issues in accordance with UPS’s policies and procedures in a timely manner to motivate and foster teamwork.
• Coaches others and provides on‐going feedback and support to improve performance as they take on greater responsibilities.
• Identifies opportunities to involve others in new and challenging work assignments that advance the skills and capabilities of individuals and the organization.
• Recommends employees for lateral rotations and promotions to provide them with opportunities to develop new skills and take on more responsibility.
Master’s Degree (business, economics, finance) ‐ Preferred
Bachelor’s Degree (business, economics, finance) ‐ Necessary
At a minimum, for an individual to have the best chances to be successful in this role
and to properly represent UPS to key vendors and direct stakeholders, key
prerequisites include a proven capability in the following areas:
• Excellent negotiations skills
• Excellent written & verbal communication
• Interpersonal skills
• Strong business, commercial, & financial acumen
• Strong accountability capabilities
• Strong presentation skills
• Multicultural knowledge & sensitivity
Method of Application