The Food and Agriculture Organization of The United Nations has an ongoing initiative on development of a user-friendly tool called World Aquaculture Performance Indicators (WAPI) for the purpose of facilitating evidence-based policy making and sector management in aquaculture and related sectors.
A WAPI prototype has been developed. It contains templates on aquaculture and/or fish production, trade and consumption as well as other social, economic and environmental aspects of aquaculture at global, regional and/or national levels. Following the suggestions of experts who tested the prototype, FAO has been trying to refine and expand selected templates in the prototype into fully functioned WAPI modules.
Such tailor-made WAPI modules can be used to facilitate evidence-based decision making; they can also help potential users appreciate the value of WAPI and attract collaboration and support to its development. Two WAPI modules, one on aquaculture production and the other on fish consumption, have been drafted and need to be finalized.
Job: Internship focused on World Aquaculture Performance Indicators (WAPI)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Branch Head of FIAA and the direct supervision of a technical officer in FIAA, the intern will:
- Provide assistance to the development or finalization of WAPI modules on aquaculture production, fish consumption, fish trade, or other thematic subjects covered in the WAPI prototype;
- Contribute to the development of new WAPI templates, including templates based on subjects and/or data sources of the intern’s own choice;
- Support other activities for improving and/or promoting WAPI, such as seeking funding opportunities for WAPI related activities, designing WAPI dissemination strategies, among others.
- Be recent graduates (within 2 years of the most recent graduation) or students in a recognised university or graduate school programme and have completed at the very least two years of undergraduate studies in aquaculture, fisheries, economics or other related fields.
- A working knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of other FAO official languages (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) could be an asset.
- Experience in data processing and analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency in statistical software (e.g. STATA).
How to apply
Interested applicants are required to create an online Personal Profile Form (PPF) in iRecruitment. To create the PPF, please follow the instructions available at:
Attach a letter of motivation and apply to the vacancy: “IRC3038: Call for Interest: Internship Programme”. Interested applicants should also send to [email protected] with copy to [email protected] the PPF, the letter of motivation and a proposal on how they would like to help WAPI development. The proposal could include comments and suggestions on existing WAPI templates, ideas about new WAPI templates to be developed, etc. The proposal should be specific, focused and no more than 3 pages.
More information about FAO Internship Programme can be found at:
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Potential candidates will be contacted by FIAA for interviews.
Deadline for application: 28 February 2017