Graduate Job Vacancy At International Rescue Committee
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a prominent international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria. IRC has ECHO, OFDA, and Gates funds to respond to health, nutrition, GBV, and WASH activities. In September 2014, IRC received additional funds to carry out emergency food distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions to newly displaced IDPs. IRC also received funds to carry out a child protection rapid assessment and program start up activities.
Senior Program Coordinator (SPC)
SCOPE OF WORK: The Senior Program Coordinator (SPC) will provide overall program support to IRC’s humanitarian response in Yola and surrounding LGAs. The position will be based in Yola, the state capital of Adamawa. S/He will work closely with the Field Coordinator and various sector coordinators as well as the CD and, when required, the RSSA. The SPC will work with Health, Nutrition, GBV, WASH, Food Security, Child Protection, and other program sector coordinators to re-design IRC’s program strategy for response in the new geographic area, guide the coordinators as they shift their program activities to meet the new context, and identify new needs and areas for potential intervention based upon updated needs assessments.
- Support sector program coordinators in the planning and continued scale up of the Yola multi-sector emergency response through analysis and management of the IDP needs and with the funding amounts available
- Work with sector coordinators and managers (GBV, nutrition, WASH health, etc) to plan appropriate work plans and implement these plans in a rapid, effective way
- Conduct new needs assessments on potentially new geographic and sectoral interventions, including identification and recommendations for expansion/growth, based upon the high priority needs identified on the ground
- Actively work with program coordinators and managers to ensure programs are on track, meet grant requirements and are in line with the budget.
- Ensure all programs have the necessary tools to track indicators, monitor spending, ensure program quality and plan activities. Ensure the tools are used, well understood and regularly reviewed.
- Ensure programs are integrated and work together across locations and sectors. Lead inter – program coordination.
- Work closely with support and program departments to optimize program delivery and ensure similar standards are in place across departments.
- Ensure regular needs assessments are carried and programming needs updated and needs – based.
- Regularly carry out monitoring field visits.
- Provide capacity building opportunities for program staff.
- Provide weekly program updates and reports related to the humanitarian response for onward sharing with donors and IRC senior leadership in NY HQ.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Manage and supervise all program managers and coordinator
- Support field and various program coordinators to identify staffing gaps and develop JDs to fill the gaps as well as assist in new program staff recruitment
- Hire new staff as required and oversee their training.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Overall responsibility for staff timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- Lead in coordination with the CD and sector coordinators, program development efforts including strategy development.
- Actively engage potential donors and seek funding opportunities for the country program.
- Oversee proposal development process and ensure the timely submission by the grants team of project proposals.
- Ensure technical units are involved in the proposal development process and in program monitoring
Coordination & Advocacy
- Represent IRC at various program-focused meetings to ensure close collaboration with other humanitarian actors and also raise IRC visibility around response planning and implementation.
- When beneficial, engage directly with donors to discuss needs and IRC proposed interventions to address the needs.
- Liaise and coordinate with actors on the ground from government, UN, NGO, local communities, and donors.
- Work closely with local partner organizations to ensure good relationship and quality implementation
- Actively participate in IRC advocacy initiatives.
All IRC staff are required to adhere to the IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Postgraduate degree in International Development, Management, Social Works or similar relevant degree.
- Excellent professional track record with at least five – seven years of international management level experience within (NGO) leadership working in emergency / humanitarian program implementation within conflict or immediate post conflict environments.
- Experience in Africa required
- Successful experience working within a volatile security environment and ability to work under pressure
- Previous experience managing programs financed through US, EU, UN and private foundations.
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting.
- Skills and knowledge in at least two out of the following expertise areas: project management, M&E, protection and food security/ERD.
- Strong project planning, capacity building/training, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Proven technical writing skills and budgeting skills
- Fluency in verbal and written English required.
- Comfortable to live and work in basic conditions and shared housing arrangements
Method of Application
- IRC leading the way from harm to home.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.