International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of tropical nations. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the position of Research Associate at the Institute’s Headquarters, Ibadan.
Job Title: Research Associate (2 year renewable contract)
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Position / Responsibilities
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Production of breeder seed of selected early, extra-early and intermediate parental inbreds, hybrids, and open-pollinated varieties.
- Provision of seed to NARS and Seed Companies of seven WASP countries.
- Supervision of on-station trials
- Conduct and management of maize field trials.
- Direct supervision of staff and activities of the CORAF-WASP project
- Collation and analyses of data from field experiments
- Preparation of work plans and progress reports of the WASP Project
- Perform any other responsibilities that may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- MSC in Plant Breeding , Agronomy any related discipline
- Minimum of 1 year relevant working experience on a similar role
- Good skills in MS Office and general knowledge of computer
The ideal candidate must:
- Be able to follow instructions and work independently where necessary.
- Possess good organizational skills and demonstrate ability to work under pressure.
- Be available to work outside office hours and for extended hours where necessary
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date:
18th April 2014
Method of Application:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA website. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITA website