IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture is recruiting to fill the job position in Abuja below:
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Ref No: DDG-R4D/M/ES/09/16
Aflasafe is a revolutionary biocontrol product, developed by IITA United States Department of Agriculture Agriculture Research Service (USDA-ARS) and national partners, which reduces the prevalence of aflatoxins in treated maize and groundnut by 80% 99% from farm to fork. Following years of painstaking scientific work to develop products tailored for Africa and firmly establish their efficacy, Aflasafe is ready to be manufactured and distributed to farmers at scale. The Aflasafe Technology Transfer and Commercialization (ATTC) Project is designed to carefully but efficiently identify strategic options for partnership with private companies or government entities, execute those partnerships and help ensure the products reach millions of farmers.
The ATTC Project, funded jointly by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), is designed to run for five years. It is slated to cover eleven countries where aflasafe is, or will soon, likely to be a nationally registered product: Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal, The Gambia, Zambia, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Malawi and Uganda. In each country the project will be responsible for (1) developing a country strategy, (2) working with the ATTC Advisory Board to refine that strategy, (3) based on the strategy, develop partnerships with specific government and private entities interested in manufacturing and distributing aflasafe, (4) execute tech transfer agreements with those entities, and (5) continue to provide technical support, help ensure continued product quality and monitor product usage by farmers.
IITA is looking for a uniquely a suitably qualified, dynamic and enthusiastic person to facilitate the development and implementation of the M&E system for the project.
The M&E Specialist will report to the Managing Director of the ATTC Project.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Managing Director and in collaboration with the IITA
- Monitoring and Evaluation Unit Head; the M&E Specialist will undertake the following tasks appropriately during the different phases of project implementation:
M&E System Design and Training:
- Develop and fine-tune the project results framework.
- Design/review project M&E system and reporting templates.
- Develop the data management system for substantive reporting on the project activities.
- Conducting workshops for staff members, partners, and other stakeholders on results-based M&E; and in the use of the M&E tools developed.
- Identify and design performance questions, key indicators and targets for each project result and milestone.
- Develop and facilitate the M&E plan implementation, and analytical processes.
Performance Measurement and Impact Assessment:
- Determine information needs of the project team, partners, and donors.
- Conduct/participate in evaluations (baseline, mid-term, end of project); and internal/external impact assessment studies as needed.
- Provide M&E advice, and support the project team in the use of M&E data for decision making as needed.
- Build consensus with the project team and stakeholders on how to record, report, and analyze progress against targets; and design formats for reporting on progress.
- Conduct monitoring visits to project sites.
- Design and manage learning/critical reflection events to be held with the project team, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Collect, compile, analyze, and consolidate progress reports for project management in accordance with approved reporting formats.
- Establish a web based database for M&E for managing the project’s M&E data.
- The candidate should have a post graduate degree in Agricultural Economics, Statistics, Development, or degree in relevant discipline with strong quantitative background and good analytical skills.
- 5+ years of professional experience in the design and/or implementation of an M&E system, preferably in the agricultural sector.
- Fully proficient in the following software applications: Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Proficiency in statistical software such as STATA and SPSS is desirable.
- Good knowledge of ICT tools for data collection, analysis and dissemination.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English. Working knowledge of French is an asset.
- Experience in conducting training sessions, including facilitation skills.
- Strong planning, system development and organizational skills, including results orientation;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Previous work experience in agricultural value chains or agribusiness development projects;
- Experience in M&E processed of USAID funded projects.
The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 23rd September, 2016