IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture.
IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
IITA is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Research Technician I (Field)
Ref No: IITA-HR-NRS2016-027
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist with all research activities using MARS and MAGIC populations for tolerance/resistance to different abiotic and biotic stresses (drought related traits, Striga (Striga spp.), Aphid (Aphis craccivora Koch) and Bacterial blight (Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. vignicola (Xav); seed size and grain quality Aphid;
- Assist in fertilizer application and planting up to harvesting period and also supervision of casuals;
- Assist graduate students on research project as required;
- Drive and maintain breeding vehicles;
- Assist with field layout and infestation (bacterial blight, inoculums, striga seed etc.);
- Assist with data collection;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- OND in General Agriculture preferably Crop Production, Crop Protection or related field with at least two (2) years of relevant work experience perform similar role.
Ideal Candidate must:
- Be very detailed and highly organized.
- Have good communication skill both oral and written
- Have good management skills
- Good critical thinking and interpersonal skill.
- Have good time management skill
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Be able to use a tablet or computer for data collection.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicant should forward their applications including a covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Application Deadline 17th November, 2016.