Job Vacancy at COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale
Nigeria is the country with the largest GDP of the whole African continent and it is currently living strong internal crisis due to several factors. In the coastal area, tensions are still ongoing, sometimes in a very violent way, and are related to environmental associations and to the kidnapping of several technicians who were working for oil extraction. In the south and in the centre of the country tensions are very strong too, and really violent, especially between farmers and breeders. But the two main issues that are really concerning the humanitarian community are the persistence of malnutrition and food insecurity in the Sahel area in the north of the country and the considerable increase in the fresh wave of attacks of the terrorist movement, the Islamic fundamentalist Boko Aram. In all the states of the North and Centre, but especially in the three states of the North East (Yobe, Borno and Adamawa) where the state of emergency has been declared, there are ongoing attacks in schools, churches, shopping centers, markets and any crowded place. The IDPs are fleeing from the most insecure areas and they are about 700.000, while there are several thousand of refugees in the neighboring countries (Cameroon, Niger and Chad).
Coopi, after an assessment mission to evaluate a rapid response to the crisis of the states of the North Est of the country, is currently organizing a start up of activities of humanitarian assistance for the IDPs with a multi-sectorial project in Bauchi State.
General Objective: to provide multi sector assistance to IDPs: NFI, food security (cash voucher, land access, seeds and tools), wash, health and nutrition
Project Manager/ Head of Mission
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work
- Previous minimum 3-year experience in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO is an advantage;
- Desirable experience of working on ECHO projects;
- Desirable experience of working in emergency situations;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
Starting date: ASAP for at least 6 months, renewable for other 6 months
Duty station: Abuja
Area of intervention: Bauchi State
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here