Latest Career Opportunity At Oxfam
Oxfam is a world-wide development organization that mobilizes the power of people against poverty. Oxfam is seeking a Media Lead (Nigeria Emergency) Our program is focused on economic livelihood, gender justice, governance and humanitarian work with a stronger focus on influencing the power dynamics that create poverty and inequality.
Oxfam is expanding its humanitarian response and advocacy capacity, and an Abuja-based media lead is required to complement this effort. The primary goal for this position is to increase the public profile of this crisis internationally, in order to mobilize donors and build public awareness.
Media Lead (Nigeria Emergency)
1. Lead and coordinate all aspects of Oxfam’s media and communications work for Nigeria concerning Oxfam’s humanitarian support, complementing and feeding into Oxfam’s Rights in Crisis campaign. Identify and develop key media moments and media angles that support policy goals and campaigns strategy
2. Establish close links with–and deliver coverage in-international media covering Nigeria and West Africa, with particular attention given to influential media from Oxfam affiliate and donor countries Research, develop, and facilitate media trips Regularly update and pitch key media targets Conduct on- and off-the-record media briefings.
3. Arrange production of multimedia materials ,photos, videos, stories} for external use
Coordinate and supportable work of story gatherers in the humanitarian team Edit, expedite sign-off, and disseminate communications materials
4. Work with others including the Nigeria advocacy manager, humanitarian program manager, country director, and managing affiliate humanitarian and advocacy team (in The Hague) to develop strategic messages and targets
Expected outcomes/output Human stories of the crisis, focused on humanitarian support and the work of Oxfam published in key international media Communications materials that captivatingly show
- Significant practical experience in international media and communications-preferably in Nigeria and/or in emergency response situations
- Excellent analytical skills to assess media risks and opportunities
- An understanding of the role of gender and diversity in humanitarian context, and a demonstrable commandment to incorporating this into your work
- Experience working with international teams with a wide variety of cultural contexts and ways of working
- English language fluency (speaking, reading, writing)
- A keen eye for visual storytelling, including photography and/or videography skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel at short notice to often difficult circumstances
- Experience working in an extremely demanding. high-stress environment with pronounced sensitivities
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please send a motivational letter and curriculum vitae in English language to The Recruiter [email protected] not later than March 12, 2015.
Enquiries should be directed to Doris Nwankwo Email: [email protected]
Applications sent to the enquiry e-mail will be disqualified.