(UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the following position:
Job Title: National Programme Analyst – Communication
Location: Abuja, NIGERIA
Post Level : NO-B
Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Representative and direct supervision of the Deputy Representative, the National Program Analyst-Communications is part of the UNFPA country office programme staff and plays a leadership role in internal and external communication and partnership strategies for UNFPA and will represent the Country Office in various fora, including UN Communications Group. As an active member of UNCG, the incumbent will demonstrate an ability to take initiatives and leadership in the taskforces where UNFPA has a role to play.
The incumbent will work in close cooperation with the country office programme staff, the UN system, government counterparts, development partners and civil society organizations (including cultural and faith-based organizations) to ensure internal and external flow of communication and information, particularly with media, and to strengthen partnership.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure development and implementation of a UNFPA CO communication strategy which supports UNFPA’s mission and country programme in Nigeria and the joint UN communication work towards delivering together focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and conduct of communications needs assessments for CO (at the level of projects, country programme, corporate change initiatives and inter-agency work).
- Development of CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy and CO communications needs assessment.
- Preparation and implementation of the annual communications plan for the CO.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNFPA CO’s programme during formulation.
- Active participation in the UN Communication Group and its task forces most relevant to UNFPA mandate ensuring substantial UNFPA contribution to joint UN activities.
- Act as communication focal point for joint programmes managed by UNFPA
- As an integral part of the CO communication strategy, implement a CO publications strategy and plan and take the lead on identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to public debates on key development issues.
- Establish and maintain a system for constant scanning of UNFPA-produced research, surveys, assessments, notes to file, field-visit reports and other such internal information sources to identify, capture and make optimal communications capital/material of these for advocacy, media and capacity building purposes of the UNFPA staff, the UN system and UNFPA partners.
- Provide critical analysis and communications guidance to the Country Office through scanning and reporting of the internal and external environment, and oversee regular production of policy and programme updates within UNFPA, particularly to West and Central Africa Regional, and regional/media counterparts in HQs including being the Country Office communications focal point for WCARO and the HQ Media and Communications Branch.
- Co-ordinate Nigeria CO contribution to the Fund communication and knowledge sharing, including stories and communication materials to the global website, the regional website, Voices, UNFPA in the News (media clippings) and the knowledge platform, etc.
- Provide training, consultancy and advice to UNFPA staff on communications for development
Public information management and strengthening of external relations with the aim of supporting programme delivery and promoting awareness of UNFPA focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Planning and implementation of public information campaigns on UNFPA and joint UN activities, particularly in relation to the achievement of ICPD agenda
- Organization and implementation of public events such as commemoration of international days, with a special focus on the World Population Day and the launch of the annual State of the World Population Report
- Promotion, adaptation if required and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications
- Maintenance of a strong media network in collaboration of the Media Associate and provision of regular newsworthy information to the national and international media.
- Organization of media activities including roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews and media launches in collaboration with the Media Associate
- Ensure effective responses to media inquiries and timely access for journalists to subject matter experts.
- Forge a strong relationship with Government Communication Officers and support national capacity development in the field of communication.
- Production of regular communication to donors and other advocacy work to mobilize resources and support for UNFPA Nigeria.
- Preparation of donor reports, education and community awareness activities as required to support programme delivery.
- Effective handling of information requests.
Contribute professional communication inputs to emerging events throughout the year to maximize publicity of UNFPA and further partnerships with government counterparts as well as media for joint advocacy focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support the organisation of high-level missions, events, launches and press conferences.
- Prepare talking points and background briefs for events and missions, in close collaboration with the CO professional staff
- Produce visibility materials to ensure exposure and recognition of UNFPA
- Collaborate with Government counterparts to take advantage of opportunities for joint advocacy work
- Partner with media to arrange interviews and coverage of emerging missions and events in collaboration with the Media Associate
- Organise field visit for journalist in relation to high level visits and events
- Facilitates engagement with nationally known personalities and helps to organize special events and activities to support country programme goals.
- Generates public support for special events.
Supervision of the maintenance and continued improvement of the UNFPA website, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proactive content management, including production of new content, ensuring that the website and intranet are frequently updated, meet UNFPA’s corporate requirements and that all uploaded material is consistent
- Supervision of the maintenance and continued development of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Promotion of good information management and knowledge building in the organization as well as with partners and the general public.
- Promotion of the use of social media (Facebook, Tweeter, etc.) for wider dissemination of information on UNFPA mandate areas
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities and dissemination.
- Performing of any other task as may be assigned by the Representative or Assistant Representative.
- Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda;
- Results-based programme development and management;
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches;
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/Building strategic alliances and partners;
- Resource mobilization.
- Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity;
- Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self management;
- Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management;
- Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results orientation/Commitment to excellence,
- Appropriate and transparent decision-making.
Required Skills and Experience
The Ideal Candidate should:
- Be a Nigerian National (Male or Female)
- Advanced university degree in social/political sciences, journalism, international affairs, communications and other related fields;
- Good knowledge of media and public relations;
- Strong advocacy skills;
- At least 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in public relations, journalism or communications;
- Excellent oral and written communications and editing skills in English;
- Keen understanding of Nigeria culture, history and political contexts;
- Familiarity with communications approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies;
- Good photography and editing skills (able to handle camera, video camera)
- Experience with web content management and web standards (XHTML/CSS)
- Excellent computer/information systems skills/ Ability to use current office software applications and software such as PageMaker/Publisher, QuarkXPress PowerPoint, Photoshop.
- Familiarity with web technology and new/social media.
- Demonstrated skills in social marketing.
- Experience working in collaboration with the private sector to advance an agenda or reach a desired population will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse team
Application Closing Date
28th April, 2014
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online