Operations Director At Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies is transforming education by attacking one of the emerging world’s biggest problems: inadequate access to and quality of education for the children of families living on less than $2/day. As of May 2014, Bridge is operating more than 300 academies in Kenya with 100,000 pupils. Bridge is one of the fastest growing education companies in the world with plans to open 150 new academies in Kenya alone in 2014; and aggressive global expansion planned for 2015 and beyond.
We are seeking an Operations Director who will be responsible for all core operations within Nigeria upon our expansion there in 2015. The Operations Director is ultimately responsible for the critical performance of our entire network of academies in Nigeria, including operations, marketing, personnel management, instructional delivery, expenses & payroll, parent and community relations, facilities, and more. Effective management of academy operations is measured by:
- customer satisfaction
- target pupil to teacher ratios across each academy and the whole network
- academy profitability
- staff satisfaction and turnover
- cost of headquarters support per pupil
- educational outcomes as measured by academic testing programme
Both directly and indirectly, the Operations Director will eventually be responsible for managing one of the largest and most diverse teams at the Company. This includes teachers and academy managers, since it is the Operations Director who is ultimately responsible for the execution at every unit (academy) in the country, along with a central and distributed headquarters team that supports and monitors the academies’ operations and designs all the processes and systems that are critical to the success of each and every academy. In particular, the Operations Director will be responsible for driving the execution, management and innovation of:
- Customer Care Call Centre (serving both as the support hub for our academy manager, teachers and parents)
- Field-based Academy Improvement team (direct supervision and responsibility of territories of academies)
- Quality Assurance (data-driven field based audit and monitoring team)
- Programme Officers (responsible for the design and coordination of all systems, processes and data capture for all delivery aspects of the Academy-in-a-Box)
- Supply Chain (including procurement, warehousing & production, and logistics and delivery for the entire country)
The challenge for the Operations Director is not only to startup Nigeria operations up to scale, but to continue to drive radically effective delivery of a complex education service and thus customer satisfaction while maintaining and improving both unit profitability and minimal support overhead costs. All while working in some of the most demanding and challenging neighborhoods and communities in the world!
This is a job for someone who has the ability to drive and demand operational excellence from large and diverse teams, while having a creative and agile approach to problem solving, a data-driven systems orientation to complex problems, and most importantly, a passion and relentless focus on customer satisfaction.
While our customer base lives well below the poverty-line, our parents are amongst the pickiest and demanding customers for any business. Exceeding their expectations while maintaining rigid margins and operational efficiencies is one of the most exciting and rewarding challenges that our Operations Director will face.
Previous experience in startup environments, or large-scale multi-unit retail environment with a culture of total focus on customer satisfaction is a major advantage, as is work in a fast-paced data-driven, systems oriented culture.
- Responsible for all operational performance indicators of our academies, including but not limited to:
o customer satisfaction
o target pupil to teacher ratios across each academy and the whole network
o academy profitability
o staff satisfaction and turnover
o cost of headquarters support per pupil
o educational outcomes as measured by academic testing programme
- Learn, reinvent, optimize and manage every aspect of the operations of a Bridge International Academy and the necessary headquarters support, from classroom instruction to latrine-cleaning to customer care
- Create highly-structured, insightful processes, systems and recommendations with a data-driven approach; alongside senior executives, critique and modify the operational components of the Academy-in-a-Box model for Nigeria
- Do or lead every job in the entire academy operations and support to some extent. No job is too big or too small.
- Oversight over the performance of thousands of academy staff (teachers, academy managers and more)
- Manage a diverse support team including customer care, quality assurance, academy improvement, programme officers, procurement, warehousing and logistics.
- At least 5-10 years of post-undergraduate, full time work experience
- Work experience managing a multi-unit retail environment
- Work experience developing and managing a culture of total focus on customer satisfaction
- Work experience drastically improving the productivity and reducing cost of a product or service
- Work experience managing and coordinating several teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work experience in emerging markets
- Record of building data-driven operational systems
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate and, if attended, graduate institution
IDEAL EXPERIENCE CHARACTERISTICS
- Work experience, preferably in operations, as an employee at any company that has rapidly grown in headcount and number of locations, e.g., large scale retail
- Work experience in a highly political industry, where ideological conflict is common and strategy, ingenuity, negotiation and persuasion are necessary for success.