Full Time, 36 hours per week
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, skilled and efficient HR & Operations Officer to provide
administrative, logistics and procurement support to the Country Office. This position will be based in Abuja, and reports to the People and Operations Manager.
1. Support the People & Operations Manager with all personnel administration matters
2. Develop and sustain strong professional rapport with key immigration officials for processing visas, work and residence permits related issues for international staff, volunteers and visitors
3. Support the People & Operations Manager to establish and implement a transparent and efficient procurement system to ensure value for money on all transactions
4. Support the People & Operations Manager to establish and maintain a secure and efficient filing system
5. Support the Country Security Lead in preparing weekly security reports
6. Be the first point of contact for international volunteers in welfare and logistics-related matters
7. Prepare logistics support plans and budget requirements for planned events and projects;
8. Organize flight bookings, road trips and accommodation for staff, volunteers and visitors
9. Maintain administrative and logistics databases, ensuring data is up to date and accurate, and generating regular reports to support decision-making
10. Coordinate with Program Officers and Departmental Heads for timely submission of reports
11. Monitor and coordinate the renewal of licenses, permits and contracts for insurance, properties and vehicles
12. Supervise the day-to-day and long term maintenance of the office premises and other VSO properties
13. Supervise and monitor the maintenance schedule on all equipment and vehicles
14. Supervise and monitor the performance of cleaners, drivers, security guards and contractors
Skills, qualifications and experience required
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications and experience:
At least 7 years practical experience in a similar role, preferably within an International Non-Government Organisation context;
A university degree in the Humanities or Social Sciences, although a relevant academic qualification in areas such as logistics or supply chain management may be accepted in lieu of the university degree;
Demonstrable experience in office administration and providing high level HR support;
Comprehensive grasp of logistics and operations practices;
Working knowledge of immigration processes and documentation;
Strong ability to source and develop relationships with vendors; experience engaging with local government and a variety of suppliers and contractors;
Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills are essential, along with the capacity to work as an effective team player;
Strong writing skills and attention to detail;
Excellent computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office package;
Willingness to travel locally and ability to operate independently;
Have a valid Nigerian driver’s licence and be able to drive.
How to apply
To apply, complete the application form and write a cover letter specifying reasons you think you are the best candidate for this position. Both your form and cover letter should be emailed to [email protected] before the closing date indicated below. Please make sure the subject line of your email states the position you are applying for. A detailed job description and personal specification can be obtained from our website.
Closing Date: Friday, 6 June 2014 by 1700GMT
Interviews and written tests will be conducted in the week of 23 June 2014
We are an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and seeks to have a diverse workforce, and therefore welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. While we respect all candidates, we can only respond to short-listed candidates.
Application closing date
06 Jun 2014
23 June 2014
1 August 2014