Senior Executive Job Position At Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps Nigeria, an international NGO is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within our program in Nigeria. We are looking for motivated individuals, members of targeted community ready and willing to work in dynamic team.
Household Economic Strengthening Advisor (HESA)
Duty Station: Kaduna, Nigeria (with up to 50% travel to other states in Northern Nigeria)
The HESA will provide overall technical direction on Household Economic Strengthening of the program that is funded by USAID and managed by the lead grant holder– Save the Children. S/he will assist with the development of innovative economic strengthening strategies for vulnerable households to compliment other Nigerian government, private sector and international donor funded program interventions by strengthening the capacity of Nigerian entities (NGOs, CSO, local financial institutions). S/he will guide a portfolio of approaches and activities that mitigate economic vulnerability and enable targeted households to better cope with economic shocks allowing them to protect and grow financial, human and social assets. S/he will facilitate relationships between households caring for OVC and public and private sector actors by identifying economic constraints and ensuring appropriate activities that have long-term viability. Emphasis will be placed on market-oriented strategies to ensure sustainability of livelihood gains, including: private sector demand-driven job creation, enterprise development, financial education, value chain linkages and appropriate savings, credit and insurance services for various age groups.
The HESA will work closely with Save the Children, counterparts with other donor funded programs, and private sector actors in designing and implementing innovative economic strengthening and livelihoods support approaches.
- MA/S in Business, finance, economics, agriculture, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or related field
- At least 5 years work experience with for profit organization, non-governmental organization (NGO) or for-profit agribusiness working with vulnerable, marginalized groups in West Africa, preferably Nigeria
- Proven knowledge of international best practices of household economic strengthening for OVC and OVC caregivers.
- At least 5 years proven experience in innovative value chain development or business models using best practices.
- Proven experience in one or more of the following: market-driven economic development, private sector engagement, microfinance, village savings and loan associations (VSLA), micro-insurance, entrepreneurship development, and value chain linkages.
- Fluency in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Strong desire for applicants with fluency in Hausa.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Previous experience in Nigeria, especially in Northern Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience in training, capacity building of partners and team members.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members required
- Highly developed computers skills with strong familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel are mandatory.
- Candidate must be willing to travel and work throughout Nigeria.
Method of Application
Applications submission deadline: March 13, 2015.
All applications must include the position title Household Economic Strengthening Advisor (HESA) in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity organization and we encourage women to apply to these positions.