COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Locations: Potiskum, Damaturu -Yobe and Maiduguri-Borno
Duration: 6 months, renewable
Starting Date: Asap
Scope of the Vacancy
- We are looking for 3 Area Coordinators for the bases of Potiskum, Damaturu and Maiduguri.
- The Area Coordinator is responsible for the overall management, execution and reporting of the projects managed from his/her base.
- He/she is directly assigned to, and responsible of the supervision of all logistics, HR, financial and overall functioning aspects for the projects and of the base.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission and in link with the Coordination, he/she ensures COOPI intervention coordination in his/her area of intervention. He/She:
Coordinates the implementation of the country strategy in his/her area of intervention:
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field
- Ensuring the implementation in the field of the part of the country strategy for which he/she is responsible in collaboration with the head of Mission, the Program Coordinator and the project Managers.
Coordinates the implementation of programs in the field:
- Coordinate and control the implementation of planned projects
- Coordinate in the field the development of new projects in collaboration with program coordinator and project managers.
- Supervise the support services activities at field level, in collaboration with the support department managers
- Guarantee synergy between technical and support teams at field level
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations from internal audits / departmental field visits / field assessments
Manages the team in his/her area of intervention:
- Supervise and manage the members of his/her team under his/her direct responsibility
- Participate in the recruitment of his/her direct team (for expatriate staff in his area of intervention at the request of the Head of Mission)
- Monitor the social climate in its area of intervention and alert the Head of Mission in case of difficulties or social demands
- Ensure the global management of training needs for his/her team
- Encourage compliance with the charter and the fight against fraud and abuse of power and alert the Head of Mission in case of fraud or abuse of power.
Facilitates good relationship with coordination team:
- Keep the coordination team informed about program delivery
- Proactively solicit coordination team for any question that could jeopardize programs, funding; or the safety of teams and equipments
- Ensure that field teams clearly articulate requests for support to the coordination team to maximize operational effectiveness and programs’ impact
- In general, play a facilitating role between the “field” and the “coordination”
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments
Represents COOPI and ensures relations with partners, authorities, UN agencies and NGOs in its area of intervention:
- Coordinate and supervise all partnerships
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities
- If necessary, implement at the local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined by the mission
Ensures the reporting and the communication:
- Coordinate the reporting activities with the Program Managers in the field in accordance with donors and the HQ requirements (type and quality of information)
- Coordinate the establishment of a program capitalization system to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities
- Implementation good communication practices
Manage the safety and security of his/her area of intervention:
- Follow the evolution of the security environment (networking, gathering and analysis of information …)
- Maintain an effective network with local stakeholders on issues of context and security, collect and analyze information to establish context analysis and risk analysis.
- Regularly Update the Local Security Plan with the support of the Logistics Manager and the security officer and send it to the Head of Mission
- Briefe teams on context and security
- Guarantee compliance with safety rules with the support of the Logistics Department
- Manage any security incidents and report to the Country Director
- Actively participate in audits and ensure implementation of recommendations
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Master’s Degree in Humanitarian field.
- At least 3 years of working experience in/with INGO on project management and with at least 1-year experience as Head of base
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts
- Experience in proposal writing, analysis, and report writing
- Excellent in English (oral and written)
- Experience in security management
- Ability to plan, organize work, communicate and reports effectively (both in writing and verbally)
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Team player, effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, able to work in a multicultural environment
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humour
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, and deadlines.
- Ability to leave in a restricted area with curfew.
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers)
- Knowledge of and adherence to COOPI Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines.
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Job Title: Child Protection Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 6 months (Renewables)
Starting Date: 28th April, 2018.
- The Child Protection Project Manager will be responsible for the technical aspects of all child protection-related programming, which includes child protection case management, psychosocial support and community based child protection mechanisms, nutrition and IYCF related activities
- The Child Protection Manager will be expected to lead on child protection-related assessments, programme design and implementation and coordination with stakeholders, in collaboration with Protection and Education Program Manager and the Head of Mission
- As well as this, she/he will oversee the monitoring & evaluation of child protection activities and will be responsible for the development of donor reporting
- The Child Protection Project Manager is also expected to build the capacity of the team, mainstreaming child protection across other sector of interventions and ensuring coordination with the Protection Cluster at Maiduguri and Abuja Level.
Activity Planning and Management:
- In cooperation with the project staff, he/she plans and monitors the activities’ progress, in compliance with the contract signed with the donor and with COOPI and the donor’s procedures.
Administrative and Financial Management:
- In collaboration with the Project Administrator/Administrative Coordinator he/she plans all expenditures to make.
- He/she regularly monitors all made expenditures.
- He/she supervises accounting and the project cash safe/bank account management and, where there was no dedicated staff, he/she directly manages the accounting and the project cash safe/bank accounts, making use of the instruments made available by the organization (Merlino).
- In cooperation with the Project Administrator and in coordination with the Administrative Coordinator he/she prepares the Purchases Plan.
- He/she ensures the organization and donor’s procedures respect when purchasing goods and services.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission ad with the Administrative Coordinator, he/she ensures the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of all financial and narrative reports – interim and final – expected by the project
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of all formal communication and contract modifications requests (ex. budget modification) of the projects he manages.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and in compliance with the country’s rules/laws and with the COOPI’s regulation in the country, he/she selects the local staff to be employed in projects, and manages any other project’s expatriate staff
- By making use of the organization’s tools he/she evaluates the local staff employed for projects and he/she participates to the evaluation of his/her own project, upon request by his/her direct supervisor
- He/she coordinates and supervises the work done by all the project staff, in compliance with the organization’s security procedures
- He/she is responsible for the initial and continuous training of the local staff under his/her responsibility.
- He/she is responsible of the correct management of all goods purchased for the project, both directly and purchased by other offices/field offices
- For all goods purchased by the project he/she updates the inventory, in cooperation with the Administrative Coordinator.
- In relation to the project of his/her competence, he/she communicates with the donors’ officers, the local authorities which are competent in the aspects related to the project, the project’s partners and beneficiaries, in compliance with the organization’s guidelines.
New Projects’ Writing:
- Upon request by his/her direct supervisor, and cooperating with the project staff, he/she elaborates, writes and prepares all necessary documents to present new projects, in accordance with the organization’s processes and procedures.
- Advanced Degree in Protection or related field or equivalent work.
- Five years experience in the humanitarian field as project or programme manager or in a similar position. Demonstrated experience in protection or related field in fragile states, including IDPs, refugees and returnees context.
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management.
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply