Maersk Recruiting Shift Manager
Job Title: Shift Manager
• Manage, motivate and instruct all operational team members, set priorities and structure tasks and goals.
• Provide effective organisation and control of all terminal operations during designated shift period in order to meet planned objectives.
• Coordinate terminal planning and operations to ensure effective ship working programmes are set and maintained to ensure vessels meet sailing or berthing deadlines.
• Liaise with engineering department shift management to maximize equipment availability and effectiveness.
• Is responsible for efficient allocation of all shift operational staff and the cost-effective utilisation of equipment resources to match the operational requirements of the terminal.
• Ensure that recognized safe working practices are utilized for all terminal operations and maintain effective implementation of safety policies and procedures.
• Provide first line of response for emergency situations and damage assessments.
• Provide terminal presence by maintaining significant visibility checks all quay side and yard activities continuously throughout shift and prepare operational reports as required by management.
• Maintain continuous operations by ensuring all shift operational staff use the “hot seat” changeover at shift changeover times and for operator rest break changeovers.
• Assist in the development of staff to ensure they perform at efficient and effective levels by monitoring performance and taking appropriate action in order to ensure they reach their full potential.
• Contribute to “on the job” training of supervisory staff and undertake other duties within capabilities as required by senior management
Who we are looking for
- Requires a university degree Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- Requires at least seven years or more of strong supervisory experience in container terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry. Previous experience as a foreman, supervisor, superintendent or other similar position would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine, stevedoring and terminal operations.
- Advanced computer skills with a sound understanding of modern terminal planning and control systems.
- Requires a comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure, anticipates potential problems and diagnoses, evaluate and resolve logistical problems as they happen in order to meet operational performance objectives and deadlines.
- Have effective customer service skills.
- Provide leadership and ensure cooperation and support from employees and contractors in all areas of terminal operations to achieve operational objectives of the business using a teamwork approach.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills combined with good counselling and listening skills.
- Well developed English oral, written communications and report writing skills. Also must have a working knowledge of the Pidgin English.
- Previous experience of working in a multi cultural environment is an advantage.
- Has a valid Driving Licence.
- Drive terminal trucks using safe driving techniques and safe parking procedures.
- Requires capability to anticipate problems by recognizing the key issues in problems and creating contingency plans and alternative solutions
Closing date: 26th September 2014
More vacancies at Maersk, Check here