CANADEM – Established in 1996 with Canadian Government start-up funding, CANADEM is an international not-for-profit NGO dedicated to advancing international peace and security through the rostering, rapid mobilization, and mission management of experts committed to International Service with the UN, other IGOs, NGOs, and governments.
Deadline: 21 June, 2017
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria (with travel as necessary)
Duration: 2-3 months
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of mission and the direct supervision of the Emergency coordinator and the Shelter, NFI and CCCM Sector Coordinator, the successful candidate will be a key member of the Shelter/NFI and CCCM Sector Coordination team and the IOM Shelter unit, responsible for identifying sites and developing site plans to provide safety and dignity for displaced populations.
In particular, s/he will:
- Conduct technical feasibility studies (site assessments) for identification of adequate sites in close coordination with local authorities and implementing partners.
- Conduct site assessments (or existing and potential sites) to determine the viability of sites and absorption capacity, and to detail works needed to improve drainage, mitigate hazard or any other improvement required to make the sites viable for the wet season.
- Develop, in close coordination with National Emergency Management Committee (NEMA), State Emergency Management Committee (SEMA), implementing partners and other stakeholders, site plans and their implementation modalities, including construction/rehabilitation of latrines, water points, etc., taking into account the overall needs of target groups, their cultural preferences and the concerns of the local communities.
- Develop site plans in coordination with the Shelter, NFI and CCCM Sector Working Group, inter-sector working groups, relevant government authorities and other actors, for both new sites, site extensions, consolidation or improvement, and including contingency plans for population flux.
- Ensure site plans and sites under development meet basic technical criteria of land availability/property, accessibility, security, topography, water resources, absorption capacity, and adequate terrain for proper sanitation facilities and acceptable humanitarian standards are taken into consideration while selecting potential sites.
- Ensure that site plans and designs take into consideration of the protection issues such as SGBV and the specific needs of women, men, girls and boys. The security and privacy of the people of concern, the adequate location of sanitary/health facilities, communal services and distribution areas should also be addressed.
- Liaise with key actors for implementation of site plans. Ensure site works and phasing are in line with site development plans. Coordinate with particularly with WASH sector when it comes to incorporating the drainages in site plans of existing camps.
- Provide technical support and relevant training to other actors engaged in site planning.
- Provide advice on all technical matters, including physical planning, site selection/development, infrastructure, shelter, with due consideration to water and sanitation.
- In coordination with the Shelter Project Officer, assess the needs and resources of IDPs in terms of shelter and site planning, with participation of the community and taking into consideration the implementation partners’ views and in defining appropriate solutions and ensuring sites meet needs. Advise on matters related to the procurement of sector related materials or equipment, including the development of technical specifications and review/inspection of the quality of products/works.
- In coordination with the Shelter Project Officer, provide technical guidance and supervision in shelter and construction activities and refurbishment of existing housing units and repairs of water and sanitation systems as required.
- Prepare lay out, bill of quantities, assist in calling for bids, provide the technical evaluation, assist in preparing the contractual agreements and supervise the work of successful contractors.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- University Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering/Structural Engineering with additional training/experience in rural development and physical planning.
- Minimum of 4 years of previous similar job experience. Previous working experience in humanitarian assistance programmes and experience on urban planning is an advantage.
- Ability to manage and lead a group of technical experts and to coordinate with technical counterparts, NGOs and local authorities.
- Knowledge of computer graphics and mapping software, as well as the capacity to use mapping tools (GPS) and related software (map info etc.) Knowledge of CAD/CAM would be of great added value. Versatile in use of design related software and ability to prepare schedules/bills of quantities and estimating cost.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of complex social-political environments.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure in difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness.
- Flexibility and focus on processes and their improvements.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Stamina, determination, commitment and adaptability in the workplace are required.
- Fluency in English including the ability to draft in that language.
Method of Application
Applicants should send an updated resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you to: [email protected] with a Subject Line: “IOM-Site Planner-Nigeria.”
Note: In your email, please include an updated resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you.