Statutory Accounts Manager Needed At Diageo
CELEBRATING LIFE – EVERY DAY, EVERYWHERE. Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of international brands across spirits, wine and beer. Our global priority brand portfolio consists of Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Baileys, J&B, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and many more. Diageo trades in approximately 180 markets and employs over 25,000 talented people around the world. With offices in 80 countries, we also have manufacturing facilities across the globe including Great Britain, Ireland, United States, Canada, Spain, Italy, Africa, Latin America, Australia, India and the Caribbean. Our great range of brands and geographic spread means that people can celebrate with our products at every occasion no matter where they are in the world. This is why ‘celebrating life every day, everywhere’ is at the core of what we do
Statutory Accounts Manager
Level: L5 (M1)
Reports To: Finance Reporting Manager
- A Record to Report (RTR) role primarily responsible for the preparation of statutory financial statements
- To ensure that Reporting activities in market are carried out at world standard level and all reports done are at a high quality level.
- To notify and ensure compliance by the business with changes in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and financial reporting regulations in Nigeria.
Guinness Nigeriais a leading brewer and marketer of premium alcoholic and malt drinks in Nigeria. It has the vision of being the Nigeria’s No 1 brewer.
Diageo Plc owns a majority percentage investment in Guinness Nigeria and continues to invest heavily in capex which is critical to the journey to No 1. Diageo Plc is quoted on the US and London Stock Exchanges while Guinness Nigeria Plc (the subsidiary) is quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. GN therefore is required to comply with the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Control Assessment and Risk Management (CARM) and local statutory requirements.
Diageo Africa and Guinness Nigeria are aligned on this growth agenda and in recognition of this have approved the role of a Statutory Accounts Manager to implement policies as they relate to the Record To Report processes.
- Ensure Controls around Record to Report (RtR) meets a minimum of ‘satisfactory’ CARM rating.
- Market Complexity
The Statutory Accounts Manager is required to play a significant leadership role within the Financial Control team to ensure that the RTR processes are continuously optimised
This role supports the timely and accurate reporting of statutory financial information to management, Diageo and the public. Also ensures that the company complies with the statutory reporting requirements by leveraging the RTR processes.
- Applies accounting policies and standards to performance reporting:
Technical expertise, planning, business reporting and statutory reporting
- Uses a thorough understanding of the business processes, expected controls and risks to undertake activities which maintain shareholder value and mitigate against risk:
- Protects the asset value of all data held in the organisation. Generates objective measures to ensure that absolute data quality is known and maintained at an acceptable level
- Effective cash risk management whilst maintaining the integrity of the control environment
Top 3 Accountabilities
- Preparation of monthly statutory financial statements based on IFRS and regulatory requirements in Nigeria.
- Preparation of all aspects of quarterly and annual financial statements including all supporting schedules for Guinness Nigeria Plc and Diageo Brands Nigeria Ltd
- Stay current with statutory rules and regulations in Nigeria and determine the impact changes to the rules and regulations have on Guinness Nigeria’s business.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Graduate calibre in Accountancy or related field plus membership of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria.
- Minimum of 7 years post qualification experience in Financial Accounting with proven integrity.
b. Key Skills & Experience
- Ability to take commercial insights and translate into the Organisation & People Agenda including good customer service.
- Proven ability to facilitate, persuade, influence and build credibility with all levels and all functions.
- Analytical, interpretative and decision-making skills.
- Sound IT knowledge in the use of outlook (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge in accounting package- RTR SAP.
Barriers to Success in Role
- Inability to manage and influence a spectrum of key Innovation stakeholders and elicit buy-in and support.
- Inability to learn fast, adaptation to a new, flexible role and manage relationships with varied stakeholders.
Flexible Working options
- Lagos based with some travels within/ outside Nigeria