UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
Human Resources Specialist – FT, P-3
Job Number: 510903
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 6 Months
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- Under the supervision of Operations Manager, manage human resource activities including the supervision of human resources staff in the small-medium size country office in accordance with the HR strategy and work plan, aligned with the Country Programme Management Plan as well as the goals and strategic needs of the organization.
- Provides guidance in human resources that promote a gender-balanced multidisciplinary team of professionals.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Recruitment, Selection and Placement:
- A diverse body of staff of the highest calibre are recruited and retained, including staff with specialized talent aligned with the priorities included in MTSP.
- Equity, transparency, efficiency and consistency are established in the placement and selection of staff, and the measurable results and impacts of recruiting efforts on the organization are fully evaluated.
- HR resource management and strategy planning incorporate a continuous analysis of gender disparities to identify strategies and actions to promote gender equality, diversity and a gender sensitive work environment.
Policy Implementation and HR Administration:
- Equity, transparency and consistency are clearly demonstrated in the interpretation, determination, implementation, and administration of HR policy, procedures and guidelines on all HR related matters.
- HR benefits, entitlements, job classification, performance management, promotions and contracts renewal and termination are administered in a timely, equitable, systematic and transparent manner.
Capacity Building and Career Development:
- Capacity building and career development among all staff are strengthened.
- Capacity development and support opportunities are identified and provided for HR staff, other colleagues, and relevant partners as necessary.
Strategic HR Planning and Management:
- HR management and strategy planning are effectively supported by sound technical analysis, and office management and planning processes. Strategy guidance and technical support for HR planning and management is always available to management.
- Local implementation of /regional /country level HR strategy is effectively undertaken in coordination with the Regional Office and HQ Divisions.
- New trends, priorities, requirements, and strategic HR plans are identified and incorporated through participation in Country Programme Strategy Review, Regional Management Team Meetings, and Global workshops, as appropriate.
Management Excellence in the Office:
- Management excellence and integrity, gender equality and gender equity are promoted and enhanced through measurable accountability and demonstrated leadership in HR management of the office.
Staff and Management Relations:
- Communication between management and staff are clear, and sound relations between management and staff are effectively established and maintained.
Inter-agency cooperation, Networking and Partnerships:
- HR initiatives are well-coordinated with other UN and Government agencies, to the betterment of HR planning, cooperation and implementation.
Emergency and Staff Security:
- Emergency preparedness and emergency rapid responses are established and ensured. Emergencies affecting staff are promptly and properly investigated and appropriate coordinated actions are swiftly undertaken.
- Advanced university degree or equivalent backgrounds, in Human Resources, Business Administration, International Relations, Social Sciences, Psychology or related areas.
- Five years of relevant professional HR Management work experience.
- Developing country work experience (for IP) or field work experience (for NO).
- Background/familiarity with emergency operations and staff security.
- Fluency in English is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results
- Leading and Supervising, Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Analyzing , Applying Technical Expertise, Planning and Organizing.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply
Deadline: 27 February, 2018