The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Agricultural Economist (Foresight Modeler). IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) seeks a qualified agricultural economist/foresight modeler to lead a program of research involving ex-ante evaluation of promising agricultural technologies for guiding strategic planning and priority setting of national and international agricultural research. This is part of the global futures and strategic foresight program, which is a CGIAR initiative led by IFPRI and aimed at identifying options to address the emerging global challenges to agricultural productivity, food security, and environmental sustainability. The successful candidate will work on IITA’s foresight activities within the Global Futures and Strategic Foresight Program using a coordinated suite of biophysical and socioeconomic modeling tools to conduct rigorous analysis of promising technologies, investments and policies to inform decision making. The main responsibility of the successful candidate will be to carry out ex-ante evaluation of new cassava, cowpea, maize, soybean, and yam technologies using a suite of crop growth models and an enhanced version of IFPRI’s International Model for Policy Analysis of Agricultural Commodities and Trade (IMPACT) for estimating their potential impacts on food production, child malnutrition, and poverty under alternative socioeconomic and climate change scenarios. The position involves extensive interdisciplinary collaboration with crop scientists and crop modeling experts and with partners in other collaborating institutions.
Research Administrative Manager
• Supervise and coordinate the activities of crop utilization laboratory, including various laboratory equipment, standard analyses, and technical staff.
• Conduct analyses on chemical, physicochemical and functional properties of cassava, yam, Banana/Plantain, maize, cowpeas and soybeans and their food products
• Assist in the conduct of storage studies on fresh and processed foods from cassava, yam, Banana/Plantain, maize, cowpeas and soybeans and established their nutrient retention.
• Provide expertise in quality control/assurance of laboratory analytical data.
• Identify and order all approved equipment, chemicals and materials for the laboratory
• Provide technical backstopping to national agricultural research institutes, non-governmental organizations and community-based organizations conducting activities on crop quality, processing, utilization, and product development.
• Contribute to capacity building on food analysis and training of Youth Coppers, Industrial training (IT) students and Research fellows)
• Perform any duties assigned by the supervisor
Minimum Qualification & Experience:
MSc in Analytical Chemistry or Food Science/Technology with 5 yrs experience Familiar with using laboratory instruments such as HPLC, NIRS, ICP-AES and RXF Experience in data analysis
Skills & abilities:
• Good understanding and operational skills of laboratory equipments such as HPLC, XRF, ICP-AES and NIRS
• Excellent understanding of issues related to food quality and safety
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Ability to work long hours
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.